Thursday, September 13, 2018

3-4/29 Faces


I hate to start at the end, but once I post, this will be the thumbnail.
This image started as a stock photo image from a mailer I received. When I drew this and Face #4- Burt Reynolds in my sketchbook, I wanted to throw a watercolor wash, but I noticed the paper was already warped from a wash I did on the other side of the page. If I attempted it, the pigment would just pool in the valleys. So I scanned the page and isolated the pencil scratches.

See the dark waves across the paper? All the color was gonna pool there if I painted it.

I had no idea what I was doing in Photoshop. I've looked at a few Ctrl+Paint videos and sorta have the idea, but I have a LOT of practice ahead of me. I'm rather pleased with the results, but I also know it mostly works because of my understanding of value. My painting technique is pretty meh. LOL!

2 comments:

sirkkis said...

Gorgeous, expressive portraits.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the expression so clear so real life

much love...