Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Big, vast emptiness ahead

[Oh, that's really funny. I hit "Tab" and it published before I even started. Given the title of this post, it's even funnier!]

This month of June is looking pretty bleak work-wise. I don't seem to have any jobs coming in. Mixed feelings because I really do need a break from working pretty much nonstop for the past 23 years, but since work has been tapering off for the past six months, I have no funds with which to enjoy that time.

On the other hand I have lots of time to do other things like crafting, drawing and practicing calligraphy! Which is good because my prep for Frankenstein's was pretty disastrous. Starting at the last minute, is never a good thing. Starting at the last minute and having multiple mini-failures is catastrophic. Around 9pm, I had to kinda throw in the towel and just call it a night.

This week I'm revisiting some milestones I've made up for myself and realized that, once again, I'm getting to them at the last minute. When will I ever learn?!

So last Saturday I forced myself to sketch something. It was hard going, but then I found my roll and went with it.

I screwed up the perspective on the face a bit, but I liked the energy of the line and don't feel like inking over it and losing it. Then I isolated the linework to throw color on it. Three (saved) passes later, it (digitally) looks like this now...
I'm not sure I'm happy with this one either, but it thumbnails really nicely. Painting this made me realize why I prefer rendering POC. When I paint white people, they come out ashy-looking or too peachy. I should probably look up some tutorials for making the skin more vibrant. Yeah, sure, just another thing on my way-too-long list of to-dos.

I've also done a little bit of craft lettering, but nothing terribly share-worthy. Maybe later I'll bunch some of it all up into a giant image. June is going to be the start of yet another 29Faces sponsored thing. With all-male faces this time: ‪#‎Juneguys‬. Since I'm only posting when I more-or-less have some art or craft thing semi-done, I'm hoping that June will be a busy month of blogging.

No comments: