Thursday, February 02, 2017

Is it that time again?

Why yes, yes it is!
It seems like I only post stuff here when the 29 Faces Challenge is going on.

So okay. Day #1
I didn't mean to get those eyebrows so dark. Watercolor isn't really my thing and I forgot how opaque the Koi paint can get.

The background is a page from my sketchbook. I was doing something else with Dylusions spray ink and used the sketchbook to catch the stray ink. Photo grabbed from the internet, sketched in pencil, then painted in watercolor. Then I tightened up the drawing a little more in pencil. Hot spots were dotted in with a white Gelly Roll pen.

 And here's Day #2




Background is acrylic wash with a random gel plate thing on it. Photo grabbed from the 'net - it's a vintage mug shot. Sketched in pencil, inked with Tombow Fudenosuke pen. The white is Gelly Roll pen. This guy had the most amazing finger wave that I just couldn't capture. Oh well.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Marvelous faces. Thanks for explaining your methods.

Anonymous said...

Great faces, so expressive and fine.

SandeeNC said...

Great sketches, I keep thinking of trying men!

Fran said...

Beautiful colorful faces. The bottom one has such a sinister look.

Susie said...

Thanks for the compliments!

Fran, the one on the bottom is from a vintage mug shot. I think he was literally mugging for the camera. Unlike the other photos I saw posted with his, his crime was rather minor. He was a thief and possibly a con man. I imagined that he had to play the part of a criminal mastermind to survive being around more violent offenders. Or maybe he likes being photographed. Who knows? But his photo definitely stood out from the others.