Saturday, February 18, 2017

My Big Fat 29 Faces photo dump

Not only have I neglected the blog, but I've also missed a couple days when my mother got sick. She's feeling fine now, but now I have to catch up with the Faces and dayjob stuff.

And so...
 Anne Bonny from "Black Sails". Dylusions spray ink on sketchbook, sketched in pencil and inked with a Tombow fudenosuke pen.

 Face 8 was from a stock photo. My sketchbook was gel printed on and I just drew the face on top.

 Face #9 was also from stock photo. I had washed over this sketchbook page with acrylic and then I had a dabber with Copper Distress paint on it. I think I wiped the dabber on the page trying to get all of it off. Months later I drew this face on it.

 Face #10 was also a stock photo. Sketchbook, gel print, acrylic wash. Then drawn in pencil, inked with a Tombow Fude pen and I then added a little color to her face and hair with Koi watercolors. It was about here when I started to seriously wonder if i could keep this up.

 Face #11 was supposed to be Eleanor Guthrie from "Black Sails", but it really didn't come out. Which is a shame because the splatter from the Distress ink sprays are really nice here. Ah well.

Face #12 is max from "Black Sails" I rushed this and the previous face in a rush to catch up. I was really unhappy with both of them though. I use my sketchbook as a blotter for other projects, so the color is the ink from that. Penciled, then inked with Fude.

 So there I was, kinda beating up on myself for doing a coupla lousy drawings and then my mom got sick and I had to look after her for the weekend. I saw it as a sign from the universe to take a small break.Maybe recharge or reboot or something. As soon as Mom felt better, I drew Alison from "Orphan Black". Random ink on sketchbook, drawn in pencil. Recognize the circles? That's me trying to clean off a dabber.

 #14 Krystal from "Orphan Black". At first I tried drawing from a different photo, where she was kinda making a face, but it just wasn't working for me. So I changed photos and this one just clicked. Too bad it looks like she was some sort of reptilian skin condition.

I must say, I'm rather pleased with myself for having gotten this far. I'm also trying to get over my need for perfectionism, so posting a few of the drawings that are a little off is a rather big step for me. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time trying to make perfect drawings when I should just share and move on to the next thing.

And I've also just realized that as I'm typing up this post I'm kinda putting off doing my next sketch.

1 comment:

Susan said...

The faces you draw and paint are wonderful.